Having skipping heartbeats, feeling tired and have headaches. Should I be concerned?

Hello' since 4 days i have continuously skipping heartbeats, feeling very tired and a lot of headaches. My pulse is around 100/105 in rest. When I start being more active my beats per minute goes up rapidly. Iam a 49 yr old female who sports and very active with 2 young children (8 & 9). Should I be concerned and see a doctor or is this just something what will pass by it self. I do smoke (8/day) but don't drink. XXXXX
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes- Stop smoking- See a doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The first step is to see a Cardiologist / Irregular heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG). / Standard ECG records the electrical activity of the heart, for a few seconds. It can detect the arrhythmia occurring during that time only. If the episode occurs randomly or precipitated by a specific activity, one needs Holter or event monitor.
     Anaemia / Anxiety / Alcohol / Tobacco (smoking) / Caffeine (too much tea, coffee, cola) / Fever / Infection / Pain / Stress / Thyroid / Vitamin D, calcium, magnesium / Medicines like Phenylephrine used for ‘cold’and so on - may be responsible.../ At times, abnormal nerve paths in the heart (bypass tracts) or disease of the conduction system or Coronary Artery may be responsible!
     ECHOcardiogram / TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) / LABORATORY work-up – may all be necessary for further assessment and assistance. You may even need Electro Physiological Studies (EPS)
     The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck