Having shoulder pain, elbow and feet pain. What could be causing pain?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
What could be causing left hip and knee pain? Right knee pain also. Shoulders both with pain as well as elbows, and both feet.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 48 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
Before i answer your query, i need some more information from you. So please provide as elaborate data as possilble on the given below points -
* Since how long are you having these pains?
* Have all the joints involved at the same time? If not let me know the chronology of involvement?
* Is the pain associated with swelling of the joints?
* Do you encounter fever along with joint pains?
* Nature of pain? is it present continuosly throughout the day? or is associated only with physical activity?
* How long have you been associated with High BP and Diabetes?
* Do you have any family history of joints pains?
I may need to ask you few more questions once you answer these queries to get to a diagnosis. Please provide any more additional information apart from the questions i have asked. Regards
Follow-up: Having shoulder pain, elbow and feet pain. What could be causing pain? 21 hours later
1)About 6 months
2) started with the knee 6 months ago
3) I started with the left knee, then I started having no momentum to lift my self up from the toilet for example or the bath tub, or out of a chair. Then it moved to both knees
4)I dont know if there is swelling in the joints, there is just stiffness and alot of pain.
5) no fever
6) the pain is all the time, can't sleep at night, the pain really shoots.
7) no family history
8) high bp for 7 years, diabetes 1 year
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 5 hours later
Hi, thanks for answering all the questions.
I am of the opinion that you might be having "Degenerative joint disease" (usually seen in elderly age groups) affecting your hips, knees, shoulders etc. The typical features include stiffness initially in the joints lasting for a few minutes and developing into pain on moving the affected joint.
The most characteristic feature of degenerative joint disease is XXXXXXX Pain in the joints getting worse with activity (movements) and getting relieved by rest.
The other possibilities of Polyarthralgia (pain in multiple joints) are
* Rheumatoid arthritis - involves small joints of hands , symmetrical joint involvement, RA factor -positive
* Reactive arthritis - usually occurs after a systemic illness with fever
* Polyarticular gout
* Ankylosing spondylitis

Long term usage of Lisinopril and metformin will cause muscle pains and weakness.

So, I feel that you need thorough evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon or Rheumatologist to exactly diagnose your problem.

Hope I have answered your query. Happy to help if you need any more clarifications. Good day