Having sharp pain in upper abdomen, between lower ribs accompanied with nausea. What could be the cause?

I am having sharp pain in my upper abdomen, between my very lower ribs. The pain woke me up this morning and has been persisting throughout the day, with periods of extreme pain and periods of lesser pain.
Additionally, nausea is accompanied with the period of sharp pain.
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 30 minutes later
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Dear madam,

Looking into your problem i think you are having acute gastritis . You are already having a problem of GERD which can be a precipitating factor for that .

In acute gastritis you have a burning kind of pain in the middle of your abdomen between lower ribs which is called epigastric area along with nausea.

Presently you can take antacids like pantaprazole or rabiprazole with domperidone combination which will relieve the symptoms after consultation with your physician. But an upper GI endoscopy , USG abdomen are required to reach exact diagnosis for the pain.

Such acute pain may be result of stones etc resulting in colicky pain along with nausea or pancreatitis . Thus you need to see a gastroenterologist immediately to look for the cause ant treat it as the pain is still persisiting.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti