Having sharp pain in the upper stomach. Hurts to touch. Could this be a hiatal hernia?

General Surgeon
I have a very sharp pain in the area of my upper stomach. It hurts to touch this area. I also gag a lot. Could this be a hiatal hernia?
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Peptic ulcer is most probable.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Hiatus hernia is possible, however symptoms are not very characteristic for it. This kind of hernia is much different than regular hernia. Usually it is chronic condition where part of the stomach gets in to the chest through the hole in the diaphragm. This hernia is not visible from the outside.
Sharp pain in the upper middle abdomen is usually caused by peptic ulcer or stomach inflammation. Hiatus hernia can give same as peptic ulcer symptoms as well. The pain is strongly associated with meals. Nausea and chest burning can be present.
If the pain radiates to the back, gallstones are also possible.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have abdominal ultrasound and blood work first. Gastroscopy should be the next step.

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee, alcohol.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.