Having sharp pain in lower back after hitting to thick wooden frame. Pain is radiating. What to do?

Welll this is differant; i'm pleased. I fell over last Thursday 9/05/13. On the way down I hit my right side square in the middle on a small sleeper bed/sofa ..with a "solid thick wooden frame" The pain I am experianceing right now is sharpe (scale of 1 to 10...about an 8.5) When I take a deep breath or bend over to pick something up...wowser it hurts. Even while sittingf if I strain one way or the other..ouch! The really BAD problem occures when standing up or sitting back down, this produces a GREAT DEAL PAIN & raidiates into my right side lower back...not in the middle,just the right side. The accident occured later at night I tired & clumse.I am 64 years "young", 6'1" x 255lbs.I live in ellevue, Wa. There are plenty of very good hospitals & doc's close bye.Thank you for your time & cooperation, XXXXXXX Guttu (gut-two) My wife's home business email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out rib fracture

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your concerns. By the mechanism of trauma, it is likely that you either injured soft tissues of the intercostal space (bruised intercostal muscles, intercostal nerve irritation) versus a bone injury such as a rib fracture; clinically, there quite difficult to differentiate unless someone lays "hands" on you (physical examination of the rib cage looking for deformity) and probably get a plain x-ray of the chest. Ice and antiinflammatories are used in both conditions, but if there is a rib fracture a "brace" or compression bandage may help to prevent shallow breathing and splinting.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Having sharp pain in lower back after hitting to thick wooden frame. Pain is radiating. What to do? 26 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX Brenes-Salazar: I received your responce today and I am once again pleased. I would like to applogize to you and any staffer which may have worked on my sistuation....I used two (2) differant computers one that sent the message ect. & then my wife's computer for email,"oops"...getting OLD is NOT easy. I am in the process of icing down the area of concern and after a few attempts with the ice may try some low heat. Thank you again for your time & cooperation.
Regards, XXXXX
P.S. in the future please use YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to help

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your kind consideration. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr B