Having severe sciatic nerve pain. How to get relief?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have severe pain from my Sciatic nerve and want to know how this pain can be relieved
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi and Welcome to XXXXXXX

Sciatic nerve pain can be relieved by:-
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen or aspirin, may be useful in reducing inflammation.
Once pain has been controlled, your doctor may recommend physical therapy or an exercise programme to strengthen your back or improve your posture.
Cortisone injections may be used to treat sciatica by helping to suppress inflammation around the irritated nerve.
Alternative Treatment include osteopathy,massage or acupuncture.

*You should place a pillow between the knees, when sleeping on the side, with the support extending to the ankles to avoid prolonged adduction at the hip with the thigh flexed. This will avoid painfully stretching the taut muscle.
*Prolonged immobilization of the involved limb should be avoided while driving.
*You should change position frequently when sitting at home or work.
*To prevent immobility of the involved muscle, a rocking chair may be employed. *Avoiding strong movements, such as in competitive running, vigorous tennis, soccer or volleyball, is recommended.

I hope this is helpful to you.If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query,rate and give your reviews if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.