Having severe pain in throat. Swelling in glands, neck, cheek and sore blisters. Fever. Took medicines. Could I ask a doctor?

I went to a Dr because for 2 days had severe pain in my throat,swelling of my glands,swelling on my neck,part of my cheek (all in the right side ) .a few sore blisters all around some fever and I couldn't eat anything because was to painful. I was told that i had Step Throat. I was given Methylprednisolone pack(21) 4mg,Tylenol,Azithromycin tablets 250mg. It been 36hr and im feeling worst. Now i cant even drink water or pass my own saliva. The pain is stronger from my ear to the end of my neck. I can't,eat,swallow or talk ,Its very painful .I also been spitting a lot of thick water- like clear flame -every few seconds.I have to keep mouth close and it fill up quickly and has to spit again.I don't know if i should go to a otolaryngologist or a internist
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Drug Dose change, Salt warm water gargle

Detailed Answer:

Your symptoms suggest infection (may be pharyngitis) and the pain in ear and neck may be referred pain from the throat.

Being a GP, for my patients with similar complaints I usually advice antibiotic (Azithromycin 500mg since you are allergic to penicillins) along with Acetaminophen 650 mg after food 3 times a day with antihistamine like loratidine BID and montelukast (singulair) 10mg OD.

Along with these you require concentrated salt warm water gargle 4 times a day and steam inhalation three times a day. These may relieve your symptoms.

For your age you require 500mg of azithromycin but you are on 250 mg. Kindly change the dose of it in consultation with your treating doctor.

If no improvement with this antibiotic then you may require other group of antibiotic as this is started as empirical treatment. For choosing the correct antibiotic we can get done culture and sensitivity of the sputum.

If symptoms does not relieved with these then consult your otolaryngologist or a internist for examination and management.

Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.