Having severe pain in neck and shoulder. What can be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have a severe pain in my neck & shoulder region from last 3 months
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 32 minutes later

I have read your question.

Before answering your question in detail, I shall want to ask some questions, please reply them in detail-

-Is there any aggravating or reliving factors?
-Are you involved with any heavy work or are you working for long hours in abnormal position?
-Do you have history of diabetes or high blood pressure?
-Any history of previous injury?

Please reply...

Follow-up: Having severe pain in neck and shoulder. What can be done? 32 minutes later
i have to sit for long hours for study
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 5 hours later
Thanks XXXXXXX for your reply.

If you are sitting for long time then this may be a reason for your neck & back pain. Lack of exercises & sitting for long time does lead to decrease in strength of muscles of our body. Muscles, which are commonly by inactivity, are para spinal muscles-

These muscles help in keeping our spine straight & give strength to it. Due to weakness in these muscles, there is increase strain over bone, which leads to feeling of pain. You should do following to have relief in this-

-Avoid sitting for long time. It will be better for you that you change your posture frequently.

-There are some exercises which you can do at office.

-Do warm fomentation over your neck & back.

-You should maintain your posture. For few days you may wear a brace like XXXXXXX brace, this will help in maintaining your posture. Do not use it for long time.

-Do some exercises for your back

-You should also do exercises for strengthening of cervical muscles

Hope all this will be able to give relief.

Wish you a happy & healthy life.