Having severe pain during periods after abortion. Side effects of unwanted kit?

Hi. My wife took Unwanted Kit(Mankind) in August to terminate a 34 days pregnancy. After taking the medicine the bleeding happened for 17 days. Her first period was on 25th August(after taking the medicine). And the bleeding stopped on 10th Sep. Her second period was a normal one of 7 days which I think ended on 1st or 2nd Oct.
After 1 week of the periods she got stomachache. And as per her its a continuous stomachache. The only time when she doesn't feel it is when she is sleeping. Some intervals the paid is very bad. Usually in the night. This was the same till October. She currently got her periods day before yesterday. Suprisingly this time she is getting pain during the periods itself from today. And she confirmed that its not the pain for periods. Now i am not sure if there is any connection between the abortion and this stomachache. She is not ready to go to a doctor. I am not sure why? I was waiting all this while believing that it will get over but its still there. We have some doubts. Is there a possibility of retained products of conception? And the pain is happening because of the same.
I have also heard people saying that if something like this happens it may end up in cancer.
Or is this just a reaction or side effect of the Unwanted Kit? She has got pain in joints and she feels that her body has completely gone bad. I am from Kerala and we do have something called as Prasava raksha(some ayurvedic procedure) which is done after delivery. But this was not done this time after abortion. So i am not sure if that is also a reason. Just an FYI my wife is a registered B. Pharm. Please help me. I am not sure what to do.
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 21 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

I do not think that the pain is due to retained products of conception. This is because this would be associated with abdominal pain, fever, irregular spotting in between periods and foul smelling vaginal discharge.

The possibility of pain can be a pelvic infection. Mild PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) can result only in pain. However severe cases may have associated vaginal discharge or fever.

PID can occur after an abortion. However it is more common with surgical abortion like D&C or when complete course of antibiotics are not taken.

Not seeing a doctor is not a wise option.

If the pain has persisted for more than a month, an XXXXXXX examination along with ultrasound is required to reach a proper diagnosis.

Retained products of conception do not result in cancer. However they can result in sepsis and gangrene of uterus.

It is not a side effects of unwanted kit rather it can be a side effect of an abortion.

Undergoing an abortion equally weakens a woman's body. Pain in joints and feeling of unwell can arise due to anemia (low hemoglobin) resulting from bleeding associated with abortion.

I hope I have answered your queries.

Kindly revert back if any further doubts.

Follow-up: Having severe pain during periods after abortion. Side effects of unwanted kit? 28 hours later

She didn't took any antibiotics. She only took the Unwanted Kit. She don't have foul smelling vaginal discharge but she has itching on the vaginal area. Also she also have got sometimes fever. So what do you suggest? What will be the step by the step procedure? Any specific food intake for the betterment of the body?

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 5 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

Vaginal itching with abdominal pain could be due to lower genital infection.

I suggest you to visit a gynecologist first for an XXXXXXX and physical examination. If required based on the examination findings, your doctor may ask for an ultrasound.

She can eat anything. There is no specific food which would harm her. Balanced diet with mix of fruits and vegetables is a must.
Iron XXXXXXX foods are spinach, jaggery, XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.