Having severe oedema, weeping body fluids and weight gain after taking vesicare. Can any on line doctor help me?

I took Vesicare for 3 weeks and it did cut down on urinary incontinence, BUT I developed severe edema and gained 15 pounds during that time. My legs are weeping body fluids and I am experiencing pain where the weeping occurs. I'm being treated BY A DERM. but am deathly afraid that the edema will due me in! I'm highly allergic to almost all medicines and have a rare genetic disease called primary hyperoxaluria Level3. Can someone help me?
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I understand perfectly that it might be quite disturbing for someone with a past medical history as such developing oedema on a few medical conditions. However, I do think a critical clinical review is needed. Considering your medical history (diabetes, kidney stones), the most probably cause of this oedema should be of kidney origin.

Kidney function tests and a kidney ultrasound are indispensable. I strongly think getting to know the locations, sizes of the stones, size of kidneys and its collecting tubules are of utmost importance. Specific medications or interventions, in case of large stones could be instituted. A good glucose control is also needed. Diabetes is the commonest cause of chronic kidney disease.

Other common causes of lower limb oedema like heart disease, liver disease, obstruction and venous disease should be carefully considered.

You might have to book an appointment with your internist. after a careful clinical review and examinations, the opinion of a nephrologist (kidney specialist) or an allergologist depending on the findings could be included carefully in the management schedule.

I suggest you book an appointment with an internist. Thanks and hope this helps. Feel very free asking specific questions if need be. Wishing you the best of health. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.