Having severe itching on legs and hands. Turned to red, bleeding and scabbing. Took benadryl. Ask a doctor?

General Surgeon
I have severe itching on my feet ,legs and hands. I itch so bad and then I scratch ,it ends up being red and sore . Ending up with it bleeding and scabbing. I call the dermatologist and they can't see me for months,I have tried
itch cream but nothing seems to help. I took Benadryl but then I sleep. I just don't know what else to do it drives me nuts.
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later

I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

The symptoms of yours look more like a manifestation of scabies, for which you have to discuss and get clinically examined by your dermatologist. Once it is confirmed, there are local medications which are curative.

At the same time fungal infection has also to be excluded by your dermatologist. Both the conditions are curable.

I must suggest you to go for a blood sugar test, which if positive, may exaggerate your symptoms. Till then Benadryl or any other anti histamine drug can give symptomatic relief to you.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any further doubts, you are welcomed to ask me.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Follow-up: Having severe itching on legs and hands. Turned to red, bleeding and scabbing. Took benadryl. Ask a doctor? 15 hours later
Have already seen my Dr and it isn't scabies went thru the suggestion of the Dr and did the treatment for scabies, didn't work. I called Dermatologist as suggested by the Dr and can't get appt for a long time . My legs and hands and fingers have scabbing from itching so bad I need help Benadryl doesn't stop the itch.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 20 minutes later
Hi ! Your concern is genuine for the uncontrolled itching you have. In the mean time, have you under gone any investigations for this problem ? If not, I would suggest you to go for a routine CBC and a liver function test in the nearby medical laboratory.

Also, as your history says that you may be taking some medications for your cardiac problems, please try to recollect if the itching started after the start of any medications to which you may be allergic to. Any new item added to your diet recently could also be the offending factor.

You can also go for some kind of Vitamin E preparation after consulting your family physician and a moisturizing solution for soothing purposes.

Any preparation of levo-cetrizine may be more helpful in controlling your symptoms till you get an appointment from your dermatologist.

Please keep me informed further on this. Thanks and good luck.