Having severe gallbladder cramps. Ultrasound to be done. Any need for immediate action?

I have been having severe gal bladder cramps and have been for a week .I have an ultrasound scheduled but the pain is almost too much to bear. I will be sitting, not even moving and will geta horrible cramp that lasts few seconds and 3 or 4 right after that daily. Any need for immediate action?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Given your symptoms, it does seem like acute cholecystitis ( acute inflammation of the gall bladder). There is a need for immediate action and I would suggest you visit the ER and get yourself evaluation. Inaction can lead to a possible perforation and this would be not only a XXXXXXX situation, it can lead to serious complications later on.
In fact, there is no treatment I can suggest that you can take at home, apart from having small, fat restricted meals.
Very soon, if the ultrasound does reveal gall bladder stones, we should be looking for an elective cholecystectomy ( removal of the gall bladder)
Let me know if you have any more questions.