Having severe back pain, when standing or laying. What should I do?

Spine Surgeon
I fell off a horse galloping pretty quickly and landed on my elbow and lower right back. I have went to the ER and nothing appears to be broken. But my back is in alot of pain, especially when I try to go from standing to sitting or to laying. And the pain is excruciating when I try to adjust myself on the bed. Ideas for what this might be and how long it'll take it to heal? What should I do? The other complication is that I am in Brazil and my work requires me to very mobile, and if this is not going to heal quickly I need to make other plans.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 32 minutes later
Injury to back usually cause back muscle spasm. Most likely its muscle sprain. I would suggest you need to take absolute rest for 2-3 days. Please take anti-inflammatory with muscle relaxant and local ice and gel application. If possible consult physiotherapist and local ultrasound may help. However if injury was significant then it will take a week at least to settle down. Thanks.
Follow-up: Having severe back pain, when standing or laying. What should I do? 2 hours later
Is there a chance thats a pinched nerve and that I'll need rehab? There are sharp pains when I twist or arch my back, and a constant dull pain.
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 7 hours later
Pinched nerve usually cause radiating pain to leg or thigh. Anything on Xray? if it is really painful then consider doing MRI spine to rule out spine injury.