Having severe back pain. MRI showed acute compression fracture. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My mother is 64 year old. She started severe back pain 50 days ago. MRI shows:
1. Acute compression fracture of D9 vertebral body (20% reduction in height). Marrow oedema noted. No retropulsion.
2. Acute compression fracture of D12 vertebral body (70-80% reduction in height). Marrow oedema noted. Mild blowing of the posterior cortex noted causing mild impingement on thecal sac.
She is in severe pain radiating from back to both side of the ribs and some times to the chest too. Can't lie down for more than an hour. She had 8 days of physiotherapy, and is on daily pain killer, and on a support belt called KT Brace. However, not much relief, and the pain continues.
Any suggestions? Is any surgery needed for this? If yes, what kind of surgery and how will it help?
Thanks a lot.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Since the two vertebrae have fractured and the acute pain is there, surgical decompression of the nerve roots should be considered. With the fractured vertebrae and acute pain, physiotherapy should be avoided for a while.
Oral muscle relaxants after consulting a neurosurgeon should provide her temporary relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.