Having severe acute pancreatitis and fluid in lungs. On breathing machine. Possible to recover?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My mom is in the icu because of severe acute pancreatitis after two days she has fluid in the lungs and was put on a breathing machine is it possible to recover
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes. She can recover.

Detailed Answer:
The appearance of fluid in the lungs can be related to pacreatitis itself or a separate chest infection. It seems that her lungs are not working properly and she is on a breathing machine. Her condition is serious but a recovery is possible. A close monitoring and an overall assessment can be done only after a physical examination.
In my clinical practice I have seen such cases gradually recover. Please do not worry. Let us pray for her better health.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having severe acute pancreatitis and fluid in lungs. On breathing machine. Possible to recover? 12 minutes later
Thank you for your answer my I'm a little confused she was admitted two days ago because of pain they diagnosed her with severe acute pancreatitis I have read the complications get worse because after two days of iv fluids and pain medication and no oral feeding it hasn't helped the pancreas it got worse fever and now fluid in the lungs what usaully happens I heard renal failure and than sepsis can she still recover with all these complications that may arise or will more time heal the pancreas please advise I'm very worried do people in her situation actually recover
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Renal failure is associated with fluid in abdomen.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
Pancreatitis is often associated with fluid in the lungs due to the inflammation of the lungs. The renal failure is associated with fluid in the abdomen.
Shock and infection are also common. But all these complications can be reversed with proper and timely treatment. She might take time but recovery is possible.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.