Having severe abdomen pain and blood in stool. Done with CT scan. Treated with steroids for poison ivy. Advise?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I went to my primary care dr 1 week ago with severe abdom. pain and blood in stool. Diagnosed me with possible diverticulitus. Went to ER last night with severe pain and blood again. Gave me CT scan..did NOT find divertic., nor any signs of infection, blockage or masses. Sent me home with pain and nausea meds.
Other details:
Last week on the day this all started was accidentally kicked in the back.
Was treated month ago for poison ivy with steroids and metroldose pack.
Also saw a dr. for possible tick bite which they did NOT think looked like Lymes.
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Require colonoscopy examination

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Severe abdominal pain with blood in stool requires evaluation in form of colonoscopy examination to see for any pathology there. It can be hemorrhoids, some growth, tuberculosis, or non specific ulcer may be due to steroid induced.So I will advise you to visit a Gastroenterologist.

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Having severe abdomen pain and blood in stool. Done with CT scan. Treated with steroids for poison ivy. Advise? 6 minutes later
I have set up that appt. for tomorrow, but was also wondering:

Wouldn't the CT scan and blood work shown any pathology results or growths (as they came back negative)?

I guess I am confused as to what exactly the CT scan rules out.
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In colonic bleed colonoscopy is more sensitive

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for feedback. CT scan usually picks extraluminal pathology very well and only significant pathology or lesion in lumen. Also Bleed can be due to only mucosal lesion( Superficial lesion) which cannot be picked up by CT scan. And colonoscopy directly visualise whole of the lumen of colon.

If you do not have any clarification , you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Having severe abdomen pain and blood in stool. Done with CT scan. Treated with steroids for poison ivy. Advise? 14 minutes later
The pain I am having also radiates through the lower back and makes it harder for me to bend and move.

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Appears to be Intestinal colicky pain

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Intestinal colicky pain can behave in that manner. so go for colonoscopy examination.

Wish you a good healt