Having sensation of throbbing pulses on head. Over weight. Could it be stress related or stroke?

Thank you for your time in advance. Sometimes I experience a sensation of throbbing pulses on the left side of my head. the pulsing appears to occur behind the left ear. It continues about a minute, disappears for about 4 or 5 minutes, then occurs again. it seems stress related; particularly it occurs if I haven't had a good night rest. I am a female aged 67 and married. My health has been good other than being overweight. Could it be stroke related I'd appreciate some feedback.
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Throbbing pulsation at the temples/side of the forehead can be felt in all individuals.

If it is just a throbbing sensation you get when you touch the area, it is quite normal. However, if it is a unilateral throbbing headache, it could even be a migraine.

Stress can definitely trigger abnormal sensation.

Stroke is quite unlikely as there is no weakness of any one half of the body, slurring of speech , facial paralysis, visual disturbances.

However, in view of your age, 67 yr, I would definitely advise you to visit a physician and get certain basic investigations done like: lipid profile, Blood sugar levels, ECG etc, Blood Pressure recording.

I would advise you to sign up for yoga classes, if you have a good yoga instructor in your area. Yoga helps reduce stress . It is perfect for both mind and body health.

In addition, do try to reduce weight by regular exercise and avoiding fatty foods.
Eat healthy. Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan