Ask a Dentist   »  

Having sensation of swollen tongue. History of bowel cancer. What is the disease called?

I have a sensation that my tongue is is not obviously so and I have no neurological symptoms. I have 20 days ago commenced taking Krill Oil Capsules, and I have noticed this sensation for the past couple of weeks. I feels better if my mouth is open or if I am " I places my finger in my mouth and it gives relief. No problem swallowing ..just bizzare. I was unable to eat prawns a couple of years ago (8-10) and have reintroduces them over the past 12 months or so with no concern. I have a history of bowel remission now past 7 yrs
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 3 hours later

The condition you have is called Orolingual paresthesia.

Local and systemic disorders have been implicated to its cause, eg. Deficiency of vit B,GASTRIC DISTURBANCE such as hyper-acidity or hypo acidity, psychogenic factor, periodontal disease, xerostomia, hypothyroidism, oral habits such as tobacco, spices, antibiotic therapy etc may cause this symptom.

I would also suggest you for your temporomandibular joint examination (TMJ), also check for any old restorations in your mouth even they predispose to this symptom.

Seen in post menopausal women, it is significant here that the appearance of the tissue is usually normal in this case.

Different drugs of various types have been attempted to relieve the symptoms, like anesthetic, analgesic, sedatives, smooth and skeletal muscle relaxants etc based upon the symptom.

Let me know, if you have any doubts.