Having sciatica, pain in lower back, neck and chest, constipation. What should be done?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have what I recently learned can be defined as sciatica, lower back pain that runs through both my legs, but mainly on my left side. In conjunction, I also have diarrhea. This has been happening for the last few days. However, the days prior to that I had been constipated with no other symptoms. I'm concerned that this also might be correlated to a recent tingly sensation I've developed in my upper chest and lower neck, and a slight tickle that makes me want to cough in my throat. That's been happening for weeks, and with that tickle has also been a distinct pressure like pain in my left upper jaw just in front of my ear. I can't say that I have an earache, but my ear does occasionally hurt.
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
You seem to be having 3 issues.
1. Sciatica is a problem related to the nerves. For that you need to get a MRI of the spine done to find the exact cause of the pain.
2. Constipation alternating with loose motions may have many causes. Commonest would be a sudden change in your dietary habits ,infections and inflammatory bowel disease. If this phenomenon is occuring too frequently then that merits gastroenterological evaluation in detail.
A combination of sciatica like pain accompanied with digestive symptoms simulating inflammatory bowel disease in a young individual may be due to autoimmune arthritis like ankylosing spondylitis which can be detected by X rays of the pelvis and HLA B 27 detection.
3. The chest symptoms and cough may be due to a post nasal drip a phenomenon seen in GERD. This can be confirmed by endoscopy and treated accordingly.
I hope this answers all your querries.
With regards