Having scab inside ear, ear swollen and feels warm. What should I do?

I have a scab on the inside of my righr ear and my head over my ear is swollen and feels very warm
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rule out external otitis Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for the query. The main issue that has to be ruled out is an external otitis, or infection of the soft tissue of the ear. Typically, this happens when there is disruption of the skin (by trauma, a scab, an insect bite, a scracth) that allows bacteria to create an infection. Many time antibiotics are needed and thus you should be seen by a provider for this. Hope this helps, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic