Having ribs pain while sneezing and coughing. Took advil. What else?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have pain under my left side under my pecs around my ribs. I have had this for several weeks after doing sit ups. I have taken Advil but hasn't done any good. It hurts when I move in certain positions and when I sneeze and cough and it seems to have moved around to my back area as well. I thought it was a pulled/strained muscle but now not so sure. I am concerned. What is wrong? Is it serious?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 28 minutes later

From the description that you have provided, it seems that you have suffered a muscle strain due to the exercise. You need to provide rest to back and chest area.

Avoid massaging the area. Doing a hot fomentation will be helpful. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for the injury to heal.

In case the pain is persistent even after taking a mild pain killer(Advil) then you might need stronger prescription medicines like muscle relaxants after consulting your orthopedician.

I hope this information helps you.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.