Having red bumps on penis. Have such episodes after sex. What to do?

Question
I've had several episodes of having little red bumps on my penis. They don't hurt and normally disappears in days. The episodes usually comes when my wife and I have unprotected sex before I get her wet and I have to force my penis in. I notice the bumps almost immedialty after or the very next day.
To add a little more detail. The little red bumps are usually in a secluded spot. Also, when the bumps start I notice above my penis to each side are I'm assuming Vains leading to my penis that become sore for a couple of days. No discharge, or burning sensation.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 3 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for your query,

From the way you are expressing your problem, it seems that it has come through friction, as you had sex without vaginal secretions. This may come and go on its own. For you I suspect tiny, red friction bumps.
Sometime it may be due to the inflammation of hair follicles. This is common anywhere on the penile skin.
Whatever may be the cause, as it is regressing without treatment, it should not cause worry.

Treatment for both of you:
Have intercourse leisurely after she gets vaginal secretion. Use vaginal lubrication like KY jelly lubricating cream.
Using mild soap and avoiding deodorant may be helpful.
Wearing loose cotton inner fittings are advised.
Oral Antibiotic with topical antibiotics such as Mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment can be applied after getting a prescription from your physician.

As it has been frequently affecting you, better consult a dermatologist, do investigations and get treated as per result.

Best wishes for you
Dr. S. Jegadeesan

Follow-up: Having red bumps on penis. Have such episodes after sex. What to do? 45 minutes later
Ok thanks, so just wanted to make sure it wasn't herpes. Because as I do due diligence herpes or yeast infection always seem to come up as the results.

Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 4 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query.

A few words about Herpes Simplex Virus.
There 2 types,
Type 1 (HSV 1)
Type 2 (HSV 2)

Type 2 (HSV 2) only affect the genital area.

In you the symptoms develop immediately after sexual contact with your wife. Moreover she is not having any symptoms on the external genitalia and the mucosa of the vulva, vagina and cervix.

Usually the incubation period (period between infection and symptom development) is 4 to 5 days.
Herpes appears as clusters of inflamed papules and blisters/vesicles and associated with fever.
They are usually painful, itchy and last for 2 to 3 weeks if untreated
and have enlarged lymph nodes nearby.
There will ‘not’ be any frequent recurrent episode

Due to the above reason Herpes was ruled out for you.

If you have still doubt, better to clear up with a consultant Dermatologist.

Get yourself clarified as early as possible so that you will have a peaceful and satisfied sex.

Best wishes,
Dr. S. Jegadeesan