Having pus spots at the back of the throat. Having fever and chills. What to do?

ENT Specialist
I have three pus spots in the back of my throat. I became ill Friday night with fever and chills. The following day my throat became very sore and I had fever and chills for a second night. The last two days have seen improvement. My throat is still sore but not nearly as bad as the other time I have had strep throat, and I seem to be improving. However, the pus spots still make me wonder if I should have my throat checked for strep even with the improvements. Thanks for the advice!
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 18 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since you have pus spots, you must get your throat examined and a throat swab sent for culture and antibiotic sensitivity.

2. Your doctor may decide about the use of antibiotics based upon the severity of symptoms or to speed up the recovery. Timely medication may also help prevent complications.

3. You may start using a medicated oral rinse for gargling.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.