Having protected sex. Stated getting scanty period. Reason for irregular and missed period?

Hello, I am 33 years old and my period was very regular from the very beginning at the age of 13, after 28 days. In November last year I stopped my anti conceptional pills. I am married and we have a normal sexual life. We are also very careful, and use condoms in order not to get pregnant. This month, my period was only for only 1 day, at the normal time expected and after that just a bit of brown or light pink secretion. After that it stopped completely. I plan to go to the physician and also gynecologist, but I am also very worried, not knowing what can be the reason for this irregularity. Can you please, give me your advice? Thank you!
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 19 minutes later

Condoms can have a failure rate of up to 15%. There are two possibilities for your scanty period now.

Firstly, you could be having a normal though scanty period as happens occasionally when there is stress or sudden loss of body fat to a level below the standard proportion or hormonal imbalance.

Secondly, it could be an implantation bleed.

Whatever it is, there is no need to panic. You can get a pregnancy test, preferably the blood test and this confirms/excludes pregnancy. As you have anyway planned to see your doctor, you would get further suggestions there.

If you are pregnant and do not wish to retain this pregnancy, you can get a medical abortion under the surveillance of your gynecologist. If it is a temporary hormonal disturbance, you may well ignore it. Stay fit and eat well. Avoid anxiety as this can influence your menstrual pattern very much.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.