Having pressure on right jaw. Feels muffed. Noticed blood in ear canal. What can be done?

ENT Specialist
Question
i have pressure on top of my right jaw when i chew or clench my teeth the pressure gos from my jaw to my ear where it feels muffled there is also blood in my ear canal now i can hear just fine and none of this has come from poking anything in my ear it just started i have nothing wrong with my teeth so i dont understand why my jaw hearts on the top right side and leads to my ear i dont get it
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 35 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Blood in the external ear canal and a muffled feeling without any history of trauma or cleaning your own ear may be due to a burst furuncle (boil), otitis externa, foreign bodies, insect bites, ear polyps , granulations signifying unsafe ear disease, burst vesicles of herpes zoster infection and so on.

2. The pain in the jaw may be a referred pain due to common nerve supply.

3. This will require an ear examination with a video-endo-otoscopy. Is the blood fresh (bright red) or dry clots?

4. Ear wax build-up may also cause pain and be mistaken for dried blood. This is very common. Have you had a swim recently or has water entered the ear while bathing?

5. If you can upload endoscopic images of the ear canal and ear drum, I will be able to give you an accurate diagnosis.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having pressure on right jaw. Feels muffed. Noticed blood in ear canal. What can be done? 4 minutes later
Let me rephrase my situation so u get a better feel for it. When i chew or clench my teeth it hurts the top right cornor of my jaw and pain in my ear as well. right now there is a pressure in my ear and back of my jaw. i can hear just fine but just the pressure is there all the time and the blood is fresh i can feel it right now again i didnt poke it at all but i guess i could have scratched it. I used hydrogen peroxide cause i thought maybe ear wax but none came out and it didnt help.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The pain in the jaw is most probably due to the inflammation in the ear canal. There is only a thin bone separating the jaw joint (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) and the front of the external ear canal skin.

2. Since the pressure and blood is in the ear, the inflammation must be in the ear canal. You also may have scratched it and you have used hydrogen peroxide which is irritative to the delicate ear canal skin. This is why it is rarely used in the ear (or highly diluted if used) now.

3. The nly way to evaluate the jaw joint is ti get a dental evaluation and joint x-rays. However, since you are otherwise healthy, you may take one dose of a painkiller and then get an examination done, if necessary.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having pressure on right jaw. Feels muffed. Noticed blood in ear canal. What can be done? 3 minutes later
great so i made it worse by using hydrogen peroxide? so what should i do see doctor or dentist or both? in your opinion or is this something i can fix myself?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. At present, do not do anything, except take one dose of an OTC painkiller after a meal.

2. If it subsides, no further treatment is necessary.

3. If there is recurrence of pain, bleeding or any new symptoms, get your ear examined. This simple examination will settle the issue.

Regards.