Having painless lump and swelling on lower leg. X-ray and sonogram done. How to get relief?

I have a painless hard but fairly superficial lump on my lower left leg, a few inches above the ankle. I had a sonogram and they confirmed it is not a clot. I just had an xray and the tech said it was 'soft tissue swelling'. I have an appointment with an osteo doctor next week but wanted some idea of what it might be.
Forgot to mention why I'm concerned! I have had numbness on the top of the foot on the same leg for about 4 months. Recently the numbness started spreading up my leg and when palpating it, I noticed the lump (about 2 weeks ago). I have not had any injuries. Originally I thought the numbness was due to back problems I am having, but because of the location of the lump, I now think it may be due to the lump.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

A soft tissue swelling which is hard and painless is most likely to be a fibroma. Which is a benign swelling. It will not cause any problems and it can be easily excised by a general surgeon

Could you describe the numbness for me in a little more detail?
1. Is the numbness tingling? Is it present through out the day?
2. Is the numbness typically around the area of the lump?
3. Have you got tested for diabetes?
4. Have you noticed any weakness of the limbs?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Having painless lump and swelling on lower leg. X-ray and sonogram done. How to get relief? 4 hours later
Thank you for your reply. The numbness is always present and is only superficial on the top of my foot an in a thin line up to the lump. I do not have diabetes and do not have any weakness in any limbs. The numbness has been on the top of my foot for several months and only recently moved up towards the lump, which is how I discovered the lump. I do not know how long the lump has been there but at least two weeks. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 hours later

Thanks for the detailed reply

Since you do not have any weakness and there is no history of diabetes I am a little less worried. The numbness is mostly due to a local lesion like that of a soft tissue for example the lump itself. In other words your nerves are not causing the numbness but the lump is. Please see a general surgeon to look into the lump.

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if there are no further ones

I wish you good health