Having painful heart burn. Taking multaq. Have gerd hiatel hernia. Cause?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am taking multaq-------am having very painful heartburn--can that be the cause
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

This is infrequent side effect of multaq and found in less than 2% of patients and usually this is just mild heartburn.

Hiatal hernia and GERD symptoms can be aggravated by many factors such as emotional stress, general weakness, specific food, cold wheather, smoking etc.

SO I dont think you should stop taking Multaq, just take it with some easier food and ask your GP about antiacid medicines. ALso you should avoid alcohol, coffee, smoking, fats and fast food, carbonated drinks and eat more milk and milk products, fruit and vegetables, boiled food and natural beverages and teas. 1 hour after meal you should not sit or lay. Also lay with elevated upper body.

Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.