Having pain under breast. No injury, x-ray normal. What is the underlying cause?

Mar 2013
I am 64 and have had upper rt rib and Side pain under breast Feels fine when I sleep, most uncomfortable sitting. No injury, X-ray showed nothing. Feel great otherwise, no other symptons, been going on for about two weeks had a complete physical in October. All good. Could this be a strain or sething else. What to do???
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later

What you describe sounds like musculoskeletal pain.
This means pain due to the underlying rib cage or the overlying muscles of the chest wall.
This could be positional or just plain age related, or an occasional episode.
If it is musculoskeletal , it should go by application of local gels like Volini.
An X XXXXXXX would show nothing as it is not actual trauma or injury to the bone, and muscles anyway don't show up on X rays.
You could have urged something or done something in an unnatural position and pulled a muscle, and as you rightly said , " sprained " it.
Try hot water bottle and local inunction gels.

If it doesn't get better you need to consult your doctor, because at times, underlying breast conditions or cardiac causes can cause such atypical pain.

Pay attention to regular diet and exercise.
Try some physiotherapy and gentle massage / stretching of the affected muscle groups.
Take adequate calcium and vitamin D supplements in this age, for overall health, particularly bone health.

All the best.
Feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Having pain under breast. No injury, x-ray normal. What is the underlying cause? 24 minutes later
How long does something like this to heal. I had a recent mammogram. All ok. I know I need to lose weight, I have a small frame for me weight. Can I still do water aerobic exercise or should I give it a rest?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
Normally muscle pulls should be alright in a week or two if not further sprained.
Water aerobics is perfectly fine as long as you don't unnaturally strain the painful parts.