Having pain in waist. X-ray clear. Heard popping sound on lower waist area. What's going on?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have been having waist pains with my waist for about 2 months now, whenever I lie down on bed i need a very flat pillow to put my head on in other for me not to feel any pains around my waist. 2. I cant feel the pain by touching or pressing it, it is XXXXXXX within ... 3. I used to play soccer though and I had this pains so I was advice to have an x-ray of my waist and nothing show I was affected ...4. sometimes the area of my abdomen hurts but its inside I cant feel the pain anywhere the surface. 5....just recently I was brushing my teeth and I coughed and all of a sudden I heard a sound of a knock at my right lower waist area and that day I could not sit cos the pain was too much but when I stand the pain ease away a little bit so I had to take injections next day for me to be able to at least lie on bed and after that the pains is still there but its not much.. what is going on with me ...
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

From description it seems you might be suffering Mechanical back pain.
It is a common medical problem.Mechanical back pain implies the source of pain is in the spine and/or its supporting structure. The surrounding muscles and ligaments may develop reactive spasm and pain.
1. Lie on hard bed
2. Taking muscle relaxants in combination with mild pain killers will help you.
3. Hot water fomentation to back 2-3 times a day and applying a local analgesic gel on the affected area will also help in providing a relief.
4. Physiotherapy - Interferential therapy (IFT) to your back will help you relieve the pain
5. Avoid driving, leaning forward, sitting for prolonged time or lifting heavy weights. These activities can increase your back pain.

You can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily.
Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Having pain in waist. X-ray clear. Heard popping sound on lower waist area. What's going on? 1 minute later
Thank you so much

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again.

I am glad to know that I could address your concern.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and give your review for the service.

You can consult me again directly through my profile WWW.WWWW.WW
Wishing you good health...
Regards.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.