Having pain in vagina. Blood test showed positive for herpes. Remedy? Virus dormant for long time?

I have been married 3 years and have two children. I have been tested for std many times before and never had anything. 4 days ago I started having pain in my vagina and it was hurting , I went to doctor and had blood test done and he checked me out and said I had a sore and it was probably herpes. Today he called and me the blood test came back positive with herpes 2 and also he said it was a recent infection, exposure. I have been faithfull this 3 years and my husband says he has been too. My question is. Could he have it from his past and just got me infected now after 3 years of having relations and kids and all. Last time I was tested for it was last year and I didn't have anything and according to doctor I just got infected. Does this mean he did cheat? Or the virus can be dormant for a long time and I just got it??
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Testing positive for Herpes does not mean that the infection is a recent one. This infection could have been dormant in your husband's body and has now surfaced to cause an infection. This does not conclusively indicate that he has been unfaithful to you.
You can get your husband also tested for HSV and both of you can get the full treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Having pain in vagina. Blood test showed positive for herpes. Remedy? Virus dormant for long time? 15 minutes later
My doctor told me the infection was recent. meaning i got infected recently in the past weeks. my husband hasnt been tested yet, but he will. but my question is that even is he test positive which he will because i have it now, can his had been dormant for year and just now infected me? cause he had to infect me recently according to my doctor.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. The infection could have laid dormant in your husband's body from previous relations and it could have infected you now. This is a possibility.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.