Having pain in throat, neck and jaw. Help? Cause?

General Surgeon
hi Doc. I have pain in my right throat, neck, jaw and ear... since 2 days now.. very dry throat but no issues in seallwing food but sometime the pain is very high. its only left side... pls help me with this. what is this ?
pls suggest some relief.
thanks in advance XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May have to rush to ER if symptoms increase fast

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ! Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

I would like to have some more information to be able to respond better to your query:

1) You have mentioned that the pain is in right throat, neck, jaw and ear. The next sentence starts with "its only left side". Can you please be specific as to the site of pain ? Whether it is on the left,right or both ?
2) Is there any past history of such pain ?
3) Is there any breathlessness associated with the pain ?
4) Are you under any medications ?
5) Did any of your first degree relative had such pain ?
6) Are you under any medication at present ?
7) Do you consume any alcoholic beverages ?
8) Reports of any investigation done so far ?

In the mean time, you may start on some proton pump inhibitor drug, a prokinetic agent, and one dose of sublingual sorbitrate after getting your vitals checked.Also avoid smoking and consuming alcoholic beverages if you do. If the discomfort increases in severity, then instead of waiting for my response, rush to a nearby hospital to exclude any cardiac problem.

I hope this information will help you in deciding the immediate course of action if need be. Thanks for using XXXXXXX for your health query.

Awaiting your reply. Dr Shareef.
Follow-up: Having pain in throat, neck and jaw. Help? Cause? 41 minutes later
thanks Dr Shreef for reply. my apologies. its only for Left side not right side. on my past history -
I have had tonsils last year and whenever I have cold I get the tonsils pain now also.

no breathness issue at all.. I use stairs in office and at home so never felt breathing prob.

yes I do smoke and drink occassionally ....

the pain is more in jaw. I have wisdom teeth prob... its half erected...

please let me know if iits a serious issue.awaiting your reply.
thanks XXXXX
Brief Answer:
Not a serious issue

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ! Good to listen from you. Thanks for the details.

The first possibility which I can think of is your wisdom teeth problem, which might be responsible for all your problem.

If I would have been your treating doctor, I would first refer to your Dentist to fix this problem of wisdom tooth.

At the same time, I would have investigated you with a ECG, a stress echo considering your history of smoking and occasional drinks. This is to exclude any chance cardiac problem, which though not frequent is not impossible. This is just to give you the information, and not to frighten you. So do not get disturbed. Most likely it is not a serious issue. But if you continue smoking or taking alcohol, then it might turn into a serious issue.

Getting pain in the throat is usual in any cough and cold and is possibly not related to your present problem.

Now you can add an anti inflammatory, and a broad spectrum antibiotic (after consulting your dentist) to the above regimen what I already mentioned.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any more doubts, please feel free to ask. Thanks and good luck.
Follow-up: Having pain in throat, neck and jaw. Help? Cause? 1 hour later
Thanks Dr Shareef. how about the dryneaa in throat... any medication or antibiotic you can sugvest please.... pls suggest some medicines for pain nd dryness in throat. thabk you very much
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lozenges and anti septic gargles.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ! Good evening.

The dryness in throat can be controlled by sucking lozenges at intervals. Do not take any antibiotic unless examined and advised by any doctor. You can of course go for some kind of anti septic gargles, for example betadine gargles two to three times a day.

It was nice interacting with you. Thanks and take care. Dr Shareef.