Having pain in throat near left year. What could it be?

for the past week my throat hurts on the left side in a spot that feels very close to my left year
BUT only when or if I laydown! no cough, little secretion on sinus
what could be it?
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query

It is likely you have an upper respiratory tract infection which could be the pharyngitis or a tonsilitis. Most possible causes of pharyngitis and tonsilitis are viral or bacterial infections.
Viral infections generally associate with cold symptoms such as running nostrils, congested nostrils and muscle aches while bacterial infections are usually associated with fever and the pains persist for many days.
It is important to see a medical doctor for a detail examination to rule out other rare but possible causes such as tumors and for tests such as throat swap, ASLO, complete blood count etc.

Meanwhile, you should gurgle salty water three times a day and take some pain killers such as acetaminophen or paracetamol.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to respond.
Best regards
Follow-up: Having pain in throat near left year. What could it be? 39 hours later
you miss to tell me why only when I laydown it bothers me?
Could it be contracted from a dog liking my mouth?
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 4 hours later
thanks once more for the query.

I doubt if there is any semiological meaning related to feeling pains only when you lay down but i think that could be due to the fact that when you lie down, there is increase strain on the surrounding tissue thus stimulating receptors.

Dogs mouth contain a different bacteria flora made up of mostly gram negative bacteria that are potentially harmful. However, infection will depend on how much of the bacteria got transferred; if it was up to the infective dose or not. However, it would be difficult to say it's because of the dog liking unless a throat swap is done to culture the bacteria involve an see if its a bacterium from the dog's mouth flora.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.
Best regards