Having pain in the shoulder. Suffered from nerve damage. Guide

Orthopaedic Surgeon
About two weeks ago, I noticed a small but nagging pain in the back portion of my right shoulder when I used my right arm to lift- since then, the pain has increased in both intensity and area. I am now experience constant pain that varies in intensity through my whole shoulder, up the right side of my neck, and just outside of the collarbone on the right. There is also a very dull constant ache in the right arm to about the elbow. I suffered some nerve damage on this shoulder over a decade ago, and have noticed through this pain developing that the numb area also seems to be growing- originally it was a small patch that was without any feeling, but now the entire shoulder feels dull- not necessarily numb but can't feel lighter touches. I have no insurance. These pains began presenting themselves a few days after a stressful event (my wedding) and at the top of my busy season. Anybody have a similar experience or thoughts?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 34 minutes later

I have read complete details of your question.

It looks from your details that you are having pain at your neck radiating to your right shoulder & arm. As per details there are also numb areas & dull constant ache.
This pain can be due to following reasons-
-Prolapse of disc in cervical spine.
-Cervical stenosis or narrowing of holes from where nerves exit.
-Cervical spondylsis.
-Deficiency of vitamin B12.

By going through all details & aggravation of symptoms with stress, the most common reason for your symptoms looks to be prolapsed disc at cervical spine.

You should do following to have relief -
-At least have an x XXXXXXX of cervical spine. Best will be to have a MRI of spine.
-Wear a cervical collar. This will at least give rest to your strained muscles.
-Avoid bending your neck at abnormal position for long time, like on computer.
-Do warm water fomentation with help of water bag over your neck.
-Take a good analgesic like combination of tramadol with paracetamol.
-Test for levels of vitamin B12, If low do take Vitamin B12 supplements.
-Take help of a physiothearpist .He will be able to give your relief by intermittent traction, ultrasonic therapy etc.

Hope this all will help you.

Wish you a happy & healthy life.