Having pain in the rib cage after bending into the washing machine. Suffer pain. Remedy?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I was bending into my washing machine which was very deep and I placed my chest/ribs against the side of the machine and kept reaching which caused major pressure on the left side of my rib cage. I felt a horrible pain and it seemed that the left side of my rib cage lifted up. It has been a week and since I have had broken ribs before, I know it takes long to heal. The pain is extreme and is not getting any better . . .
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You could have suffered a Rib fracture.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on the description of symptoms, I suspect either a fracture of the ribs or Intercostal muscle strain.

An xray of the involved region will show up a fracture.

The general treatment guidelines either for intercostal muscle strain or rib fracture is as follows -

* avoid lying on the affected side while in supine position
* Rest to the local part and don't involve in activities that produces pain
* Use Ice packing over the painful area once in 2 hours as it numbs the area thereby decreasing pain perception and also reduces swelling.
* Gentle massaging of the painful area with pain killer creams
* supporting your chest with a pillow if you need to cough
* Don't wrap any bandage tightly around your chest, as this will stop your lungs expanding properly and may lead to lung infections
* over the counter pain medications like Advil or Aleve will help in relieving pain as well as inflammation.

Generally, these conditions may take around 4-6 weeks to heal completely.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further