Having pain in the back radiating to the leg and tips of the toe. What could be causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, My husband has been having pain, akin to the pain he had when he had shingles. It is not shingles. He saw his DR today. The pain has spread from his left leg up to his shoulder and down to the tips of his toes. He also has no energy. The Dr drew blood and will get back to him with suggestions for followup. What conditions would possibly lead to these symptoms? This has developed in just 2-4 weeks.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
The pain in the back radiating to the leg and tips of the toes is likely to be due to a nerve root irritation or a compression at the level of spinal cord. The pain in the shoulder can be due to nerve root compression at the level of cervical spine which is usually associated with mild pain in the neck too.
These are all age related degenerative changes in the spine and proper medical treatment and physiotherapy exercises can take care of the mild symptoms.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with his symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from his orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. He can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Discuss with his orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.