Having pain in stomach and noticed lump above navel. Painful to touch. What to do?

General Surgeon
Question
Yesterday I started noticing a slight pain in my stomach. I have a small lump about 2 inches above my navel; and if I press on it it is very painful. I had difficulty sleeping last night. Lying down was painful. Today I worked hard, lifting fairly heavy things, and then played golf. None of that caused pain. Only if I touch it, and if I lie down.
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

The most probable reason of your symptoms is umblical or abdominal hernia.
You have it probably for sometime but now some abdominal cavity tissue has stuck in this hole causing such symptoms. As long as this is not a part of intestine wall, you may not suffer from other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, gas or stool blockage.
Another possibility is that this small lump is sebaceous cyst which has gotten infected and became an abscess. If so, this lump should be white or red and very tender.
Both conditions can be ruled out by abdominal ultrasound.
If it is hernia, surgery might be necessary. If it is a cyst, small incision will ease the pain.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Having pain in stomach and noticed lump above navel. Painful to touch. What to do? 23 minutes later
I am sort of thinking that it is probably a hernia, since I was doing some fairly heavy lifting when the problem became most noticable. Also, for several years I have on a few occasions experienced extreme pain in that area while lifting something fairly heavy while bending over. In the past, all I had to do was bend over backwards to make the pain go away. Now bending over backwards makes it worse. My question is would it be okay for me to just live with this condition for several weeks before consulting my family doctor, or if it is a hernia, am I putting myself at risk if I ignore it for a couple of weeks. I have a lot of work to do for the next several weeks, and then have a lot of time off.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Hello!

Well, it all depends what has stuck in this hernia. You need to be aware that it can be an intestine. If so, you should not wait with it. It can be also omentum, which basically is not extremely important tissue. However, if something gets stuck in hernia, it can get ischeamic and necrotic. Such necrotic tissue can lead to abdominal cavity inflammation. So in my opinion you should not wait for so long.

Hope this will help.
Regards.