Having pain in shoulder after sleeping in wrong position. What should I do?

Hello ,
I have some shoulder pain after sleeping in the wrong position. I was wondering what I should do?
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us
It is normal for us to have shoulder pain after sleeping in the wrong position. This can sometimes persist as well. Sleeping in the wrong position makes our muscles go into spasm (they keep contracting) which causes the pain. For relief, you can apply a hot water bottle or electric heating pad ( make sure, its not too hot) and a diclofenac ointment at the affected area.
This should become ok in 1-2 days. I dont think you need to worry about this.
Hope that helps