Having pain in right side of throat while swallowing. Cure?

Jan 2013

I am getting pain on right side of my throat while swallowing, this has been since 5 days. It is exactly at the top right of my throat. The pain was light initially and slowly becoming severe. My observation is the pain is not only while swallowing but also in yawning and any other moments. The pain is radiating towards my right jaw and till right ear. I am able to locate the pain by pressing my throat at upper right side.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 53 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have difficulty in breathing/ chest pain/ cough with sputum/ fever?
Do you have running nose/ sore throat?
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ retrosternal burning pain/ abdominal bloating after taking meals?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to high possibility of acute tonsillitis which could be secondary to acute viral upper Presence of inflammation in defined region suggests the diagnosis.
Difficulty in swallowing and yawning could be due to enlarged inflammed tonsils.
Oropharynx is connected to middle ear by Eustachian tube and inflammation could also spread and involve middle ear.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ ENT surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and chest x XXXXXXX on preliminary basis.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should also take complete antibiotic therapy, decongestants and antipyretics.
You should also perform gargles three times in a day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.
Avoid cold drinks, oily food and yogurt and juices.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Having pain in right side of throat while swallowing. Cure? 13 hours later
Dear doctor,

Thank you so much for your detailed answer.

I do not have any difficulty in breathing/chest pain/cough. I had a mild fever and cold three days ago. But the throat pain has started way before this. I have consumed cetrizine and paracetamol for two days and now I do not have any symptoms of cold or fever.

I also do not have the other two symptoms you have asked.

I have consumed too chilled beverages continuously for two days before starting of my complaint.

I have taken one aceclofenac-100mg tab last night which has relieved the pain about 75%. But I am feeling like some thing is being touched inside my throat when I swallow any food, but there is substantial relief in pain in this morning.

Another observation is, I am feeling pain when I press in the area of top right of my throat.

Based on these symptoms, would you please suggest any basic antibiotics for my complaint?

Thanks & Regards,

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 8 hours later
There appears to be high possibility of acute bacterial tonsillitis secondary to acute upper respiratory tract viral infection.
You should avoid cold drinks and should perform gargles three times in a day.
You should continue antibiotics & decongestants combination treatment available in market.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Having pain in right side of throat while swallowing. Cure? 16 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Would you please suggest the names of antibiotics available in market for my complaint.

Thanks & Regards,

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 hours later
You can take Cefi-L or Cefolac -O on written prescription from a local doctor.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava