Having pain in right side of neck towards the head. Pulsating pain starts above breast. Give precautions to take care of pain?

Hi, i have been having this pain moving from the right side of my neck moving up to my head. It is a pulsating pain that sometimes starts above my right breast and moves upward. The pain extends to my back and right breast. I have having this pain for more than a year. How should i begin taking care of this?
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail.

Causes of neck pain may include the following:
1. Abnormalities in the bone or joints
2. Trauma
3. Poor posture
4. Degenerative diseases
5. Tumors
6. Muscle strain

Pains from above the breast (shoulder region) may be due to:
1. Strains from overexertion
2. Tendonitis from overuse
3. Shoulder joint instability
4. Dislocation
5. Collar or upper arm bone fractures
6. Frozen shoulder
7. Pinched nerves (also called radiculopathy)

Please do not get worried with the above lists, if its been a low grade dull pain that you have been having for a year, most likely it is nerve or muscle related.

I suggest you visit an orthopedic surgeon and get your neck, shoulder, back on the right side clinically examined.

He might order imaging investigations as below:
X-rays: Plain X-rays can reveal narrowing of the space between two spinal bones, arthritis-like diseases, tumors, slipped discs, narrowing of the spinal canal, fractures and instability of the spinal column.
MRI:Magnetic resonance imaging is a noninvasive procedure that can reveal the detail of neural (nerve-related) elements, as well as problems with the tendons and ligaments.

The treatment of soft tissue neck and shoulder pain often includes the use of anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Pain relievers such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) may also be recommended. Depending on the source of pain, drugs like muscle relaxers and even antidepressants might be helpful. Pain also may be treated with a local application of moist heat or ice. Local corticosteroid injection is often helpful for arthritis of the shoulder. For both neck and shoulder pain movement, exercises may help. For cases in which nerve roots or the spinal cord are involved, surgical procedures may be necessary. Your doctor can tell you what is the best course of treatment for you.

I hope this helps,
Any further queries are welcome.
Dr. A Rao Kavoor