Having pain in rib cage after eating. Reason?

General Surgeon
i am having pain in my right rib cage also when i eat makes me sick burp reall a long time after eating
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Right rib cage pain in the lower part of it, especially when radiating to the back, is most likely caused by gallstones. Nausea is very characteristic for this condition. The pain usually aggravates after a fatty foods.
Other possible reason of such pain is peptic ulcer or stomach inflammation.
If there were any trauma of the chest, or you do suffer from shortness of breath, pneumothorax is possible.
I suggest you to have some diagnostics. You should start with abdominal ultrasound, chest X-ray, full blood work, CRP, liver tests(AST,ALT,GGTP), amylase, urine amylase, bilirubin and urine analysis.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Having pain in rib cage after eating. Reason? 1 hour later
i do not have a gallblatter, had a chest XXXXXXX blood work, so guess that narrows it down
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later

Lack of gallbladder does not rule out gallstones. In some cases, such stone can appear in bile ducts. And if so, the pain can be similar to gallstones or even stronger.
The best way to rule such possibility out is to perform abdominal ultrasound (to see if the bile ducts are not dilated) and check GGTP and AP level (should be elevated if stones are present).
And still peptic ulcer should be ruled out. To do that, upper GI endoscopy should be done.

Follow-up: Having pain in rib cage after eating. Reason? 47 minutes later
okay you have given me a lot of things to talk to a dr about if any more suggestions would like to you to tell me will try to find another dr in XXXXXXX ok i have spent 2 weeks with my dr. they gave me morphin in hospital for pain and loratab this was last week still hurting
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later

Morphine causes smooth muscles spasm. If the reason of your pain is bile ducts or stomach, it wont help and can even increase the pain. And so is Loratab.
You can try such treatment before you will find a doctor: Omeprasole 40 mg once a day (if the peptic ulcer is the reason, the pain should improve in a week or so), Buscolisine, Metamisol (this two medicines are pain killers which do relax smooth muscles and should be effective with the bile ducts pain). Hot bath should also relax smooth muscles.
Hope this will help.