Having pain in nipple, sore to touch, no lumps. Pain has moved to arms and neck. What is it?

Jul 2016

I have acute pain in my left nipple. It's gotten worse over a few eeks time. It's very sore to touch. I haven't noticed any lumps. Over the last week, the pain has moved under my left arm, into my left arm, my left neck. I'm male. 50 years of age.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have pain in your left nipple since few weeks and now getting pain in left side of neck and left arm.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to make comments on your problem.
1) Do you use tight under wares (Clothing) ?
2) Are you taking any medications ?
3) Do you have any discharge from the nipple?

The pain in the nipple could be due either infection in the nipple itself or due to pain in the ribs underneath the nipple.

Please consult qualified Surgeon for clinical examination to rule out presence of small lump or to rule out inflammation of the ribs.

As regards pain in the neck and arm it is refereed pain from the chest.

Do not worry it should get resolved with pain killers and anti inflammatory drugs like Diclofenac for 2-3 weeks.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: Having pain in nipple, sore to touch, no lumps. Pain has moved to arms and neck. What is it? 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply.
In response to your questions:
1) I don't wear tight clothing.
2) I'm not taking any medication.
3) There's no discharge from the nipple.
As I examined more closely, it does not seem to be the nipple itself
that is sore, but the area right underneath it, perhaps the muscle area
around and below it.
Do you have any idea what this condition is or what is causing it?
Hi again, I already wrote a follow up question, but all of the information on the web is getting me concerned about heart attack symptoms. I've had these symptoms for a few weeks, and only in the last few days has it migrated to the neck and jaw. Would heart attack symptoms have specific sore areas on my left chest? The pain is not in the center, it is most intense in the muscles around my left breast. And everything is tender to touch---side, neck, etc.
Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 10 hours later
Thanks for follow up. It looks likely to be a muscular pain rather than pain in the nipple itself.Continue taking pain killers and anti inflammatory medication for couple of days.

As regards your doubt about heart attack it always associated with other symptoms like perspiration ,hypotension etc.

However consult chest physician or cardiologist for clinical examination and get basic test like E.C.G done to rule out the same. It will help to relieve your anxiety.
Thanks and Regards