Having pain in neck. Scan result showed Straightening of cervical spine,decreased intervertebral disc space at C5-C6 Cure?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have complains of pain over neck since last 4 years ,insidious onset not associated with any trauma gradually progressing, now pain aggravated since last 6 months& is radiating to right upper limp.As soon as i do any normal work,like travelling.writing and reading etc..getting strong pain ,feeling difficult even raising hand for eating food.
I have a feeling of pressure on in my throat, around the XXXXXXX XXXXXXX area.
X- XXXXXXX cervical spine result : Straightening of cervical spine,decreased intervertebral disc space at C5-C6
MRI result -normal study of cervical spine except for obliteration of cervical lordosis.
treatment given from the hospital :cervical traction and physiotherapy.
even after the treatment still getting strong pain.

so please suggest a treatment and causes of this illness
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 17 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

As the MRI scan has shown no signs of neural compression, the management of your condition is only conservative by the following means -

Rest: A collar will prevent unguarded movement; A SOFT CERVICAL COLLAR is advisable. However, it should not be used for more than a week or two as it may worsen the condition on prolonged usage.

Medicines: Analgesic are needed in the acute phase. Muscle relaxants are essential for relieving muscle spasms which generally follows acute pain.

Cervical traction: may enlarge the disc space, permitting the disc prolapses to subside. Intermittent cervical traction for not more than 30 minutes at a time. Weight upto 8kg can be added.

Physiotherapy: Once the acute phase of pain has subsided, Isometric strengthening exercises of the paravertebral muscles are started. Moist heat can be useful

Epidural steroids: are useful for patients with severe radicular pains in the limbs

If the symptoms do not resolve with the above measures, consult an orthosurgeon and follow his advice.

Hope I have addressed all your issues. Happy to help for any more clarifications.

Good day
Follow-up: Having pain in neck. Scan result showed Straightening of cervical spine,decreased intervertebral disc space at C5-C6 Cure? 25 minutes later
Early doctor was said about neural compression , Even though not shown in the MRI result .
what about pressure on in my throat? have any relation with neck pain?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Hi, This is just to let you know that MRI scan picks up all the minute details with regard to the spinal elements with great accuracy. So there is no way that a neural compression is missed by the MRI scan.

Generally, there exists no relation between the cervical spine pain and pressure in the throat. But there is one situation where it can be seen.
In Tuberculosis of the cervical spine, the "cold abscess" can track into the prevertebral tissues and causes a collection of pus causing pressure over the oesophagus (food pipe) which at times may present as difficulty in swallowing. To diagnose this condition, you need a consultation with a Otorhinolaryngologist to rule out other causes of throat pain.