Having pain in left side below pelvic hip bone. Stomach gurgles a lot. Early arthritis. What can be done?

I am a 64 year old woman. I eat a healthy varied diet. I have recurring bouts of deep dull pain in my left side just below my pelvic hip bone. It feels like inflammation. Sometimes I all get a lot of wind and if i am late for a meal, my stomach gurgles a lot, particularly in the afternoons. I have no loss of appetite or weight loss and have done two bowel cancer postal tests as part of a local health trust screening - both OK. I do have early arthritis in my hips but am pretty sure this is not from that. My dad had diverticulitis. Could it be that? I have no griping pains or sharp pain

Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 39 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Diverticular disease is caused by 'outpocketing' or protrusion of the intestinal wall. It can be associated with abdominal pain. Because the changes involve the intestine , this pain is felt within the abdomen.

If the pain you are experiencing is in the abdomen, which would be above the level of the pelvis or pelvic bones , then this would definitely be a possibility because this condition is found in alot of persons once they pass age 40.

If the pain is below the level of the pelvic bones or pelvis then it is more likely to be related to a structure at the hip level or a structure within the pelvis itself.
This would include the reproductive organs such as the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, muscles in the pelvis or the bladder.

The symptoms of increased bowel sounds and bloating can be related to the delayed meal times as you indicated. They can sometimes be related to some foods that promote gas formation, intolerance to certain foods or reflux disease.
The foods that promote gas formation are broccoli, brussel sprouts, beans, cabbage, turnips, carbonated drinks.

You may want to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment of the structures and organs of the pelvis. This assessment would normally involve a physical examination and likely imaging investigations such as xrays or ultrasound.

Treatment would depend on the results of the evaluation

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions