Having pain in knee and found pink bruise on it. Should I consult a doctor?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Good

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My knee has been painful for several weeks; today when I had a therapeutic massage, the therapist told me I have a pink colored bruise behind that knee...and it feels a bit warm to her. So, as a result, she did not massage it very much. I have a physical coming up on Wednesday; should I wait until then to ask a dr about it?
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

An area behind the knee with spontaneously appearing bruise without any history of trauma is indicative of a bleeding disorder.

Excessive intake of food stuffs like fish oils, ginkgo biloba, ginger or garlic can precipitate such events.

Spontaneous bleeding needs to be investigated with coagulation and bleeding profiles .

It is best to see a doctor as soon as possible to avoid further complications.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Regards.

Follow-up: Having pain in knee and found pink bruise on it. Should I consult a doctor? 11 hours later
The pink area is still there this morning; it is about 4 inches wide and three inches long. It has not changed at all over night. I have no other bruises anywhere on my body....if it were a bleeding disorder, wouldn't yesterday's massage have given me several bruises?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 16 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

In bleeding disorder there is a tendency to bruise easily due to an increased fragility of the blood vessels. It might possible that therapuetic massage causes large bruise behind the knee due to bringing about small tears in blood vessels walls.

Regards.

Follow-up: Having pain in knee and found pink bruise on it. Should I consult a doctor? 14 hours later
You did not address my question; the massage was very XXXXXXX on my arms....wouldn't a blood disorder cause bruises on my arms where the therapist put a lot of weight into the massage?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for posting your query again.

Ok, as you had now said that there is very XXXXXXX massage over your arms and bruise not developed over there, so chances of having bleeding disorder is very less.

Now other possibility of bruise behind the knee, which is warm to touch, might be due to acute exacerbation of rheumatoid arthritis, which you are suffering from.

Therefore, I advise you to consult your doctor for detailed examination of knee. Until then I advice you not to take any massage and give rest to your knee joint.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Wishing you good health....

Follow-up: Having pain in knee and found pink bruise on it. Should I consult a doctor? 18 hours later
I was tested for Lyme disease and am positive....so the tick bite I had in July is the culprit. Thanks for your help. XXXXXXX Hoppe

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 14 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.

You might have forgotten to mention the history of tick bite previously , so it become difficult to reach the diagnosis without examination.

But it is good to hear that you got the correct diagnosis.

Let me know if you need any more help. Else, please close this discussion

Wishing you good health....