Ask a Dentist   »  

Having pain in jaw. How to get relief?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
My right jaw is hurting..
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 1 hour later
Thank you for the query. The details are insufficient to say anything. Kindly give the detailed information of the pain like whether the pain is from tooth/jaw, duration of the pain, whether the pain is radiating or localised, whether pain is continuous or aggravates on taking food, is the pain disturbing your sleep? Do you have swelling also?
for the time being to get the relief you can take Paracetamol.

with happy regards
Follow-up: Having pain in jaw. How to get relief? 8 minutes later
The pain is on the junction from where the jaw moves. I have no problem whith any of my teeth. That point of my jaw hurts when I move my jaw, it is more while chewing the food and it increases while yawning.

The pain is not radiating.
I have been suffering from this since past couple of days but it is more today. I can feel the swelling but it is not evidently visible.

The pain does not disturb my sleep.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 6 hours later
The symptoms explained appear to be the problem in the jaw joint [TMJ-Tempero-mandibular joint] or in the muscles that are helping in chewing. I would suggest you to be on soft diet for next 10-12 days, take Paracetamol thrice daily for 4 days. Support the lower jaw while yawning and laughing by keeping the palm against the lower border of the chin. Avoid opening the mouth widely. If the pain remains the same/aggravates then it has to be checked physically by the dentist.
If have anything to be clarified I am happily available for discussion in this forum.
Wish you speedy recovery,

With warm regards
Follow-up: Having pain in jaw. How to get relief? 2 days later
Thank you doctor..
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 31 minutes later
Thankyou for trusting XXXXXXX wish you happy recovery.