Having pain in hip during bowel movement or menstrual cycle. What to do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Right side by hip pinches unless bowel movement or on menstrual cycle
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
I assume you are referring to left side flank pain relieved by bowel movement or menstruation.
Such pain could be most probably either due to gastrointestinal problems or a gynaecological issue .
In order to be able to provide you with a diagnosis and guidance I would request you to describe your symptoms in detail as follows,
1. The onset duration and progression of your pain when started , how frequent ,worsening ? , nature and exact site of pain ,any treatment taken, any tests done?
2. Your past and present medical history wether any systemic illnesses or problems , any ongoing treatment ?
3. Your menstrual history any gynaecological problems encountered ?
If apart from this you feel like sharing any other relevant information please do not hesitate .
Hope you will respond soon ,
Awaiting your response ,
Follow-up: Having pain in hip during bowel movement or menstrual cycle. What to do? 5 hours later
The "pinching" started a few months ago... By my waist area towards the back. It is relieved when i havr a bowel movement or menstruating... I think it is relieved during menstruation becaise it is easier for me to have a bowel movment then. I started doing yoga a few months ago and thats when i noticed this pain.
Other than that, i feel fine and no other health problems.
I should also note I have always suffered from constipation..since i was a baby... Runs in my family!
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for the follow up.
Considering the details you have provided it is most likely a sharp sudden pain caused by distension of your intestine ( more specifically the lower part of colon which lies on the left and accumulates the feces) . Hence whenever your bowel movements are frequent or regular you may experience some relief.
Yes the most common cause for such pain in your case would be your inherent constipation problem but Considering you are a health conscious individual you can benefit from yoga and lifestyle modifications to decrease your constipation .
I would also recommend a physical examination and evaluation ( ultrasound ) by your physician or gadtroenterogist which can relieve any doubts about the origin of the pain and confirm the diagnosis .
The treatment can then be started accordingly which would mainly include laxatives like isphaghula , lactulose etc , plenty of fluids , fibre XXXXXXX diet and yoga and exercises.
Though this is a minor symptom and likely to resolve soon with appropriate therapy please do not hesitate to get evaluated by your doctor or do not neglect such a symptom as rarely certain bowel disorders might rarely be complicated by underlying serious illnesses .
So do get yourself checked by your doctor .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Having pain in hip during bowel movement or menstrual cycle. What to do? 6 hours later
Thank you for your reply! Quite honestly, I am scared to death to go to the doctor.
But, I do appreciate your advise. I hope it's something I don't need to be concerned about!
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for the appreciation.
As of now it doesn't seem much worrisome .
In case you develop any associated symptoms like irregular bowel habbits or sudden change in bowel habbits , any blood or mucus in stools ,low grade fever, weakness or weight loss then please see your doctor promptly .
Please do not be scared of your doctor as he will only do what's best for you .
If you are scared of per rectal examination you can skip that and arleast get an abdominal ultrasound done to rule out any significant cause.
Hope I have answered your query.