Having pain in groin area. Not able to lift leg while lying. Could it be pulled muscle?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been having an excruciating pain in the left groin area for the last couple of months. I can't lift my left leg while lying down on the bed or sitting on the bed. Even getting out of the bed is becoming difficult. I am having trouble squatting as well. Initially, I thought I had pulled a muscle. But now I am worried. Could you please help? XXXXXXX male, aged 48 years, Calcutta, India.
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Pain in left groin area, trouble squatting and painful movement at hip indicates some pathology at your left hip. Based on these symptoms few possibilities which I can think of are:

*Femoral acetabular impingement
*Arthritis of hip
*Labral detachment
*Refered pain from lower back

A detailed clinical examination of the left hip and x-ray are warranted to narrow down the aforementioned possibilities. Therefore I urge you to visit an orthopaedic surgeon for clinical examination of hip and lower back and investigations.

If you have already seen then or have X-rays with you, please provide the details of clinical findings or the X-rays. You may scan the X-ray films / reports and upload using the site's loader. Alternatively you may mail the details to my attention (ATTN: Dr. Saurabh Gupta) at YYYY@YYYY

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Follow-up: Having pain in groin area. Not able to lift leg while lying. Could it be pulled muscle? 7 hours later
Thank you. I will see an orthopedic surgeon soon. But I forgot to mention that my entire back has been very sore lately. If I sneeze or cough, for instance, it causes huge pain in the upper back. I have been frequently coming down with an eye disease called uveitis. I am also prone to cold and sneezing frequently. My cholesterol is also quite high and I am on Rosuvas10 tablets, one taken every night . I also take Losacar H in the morning and Losacar 50 in the evening for blood pressure besides two tablets of Rablet 20, one each in the morning and evening. I was also put on Pregalin SR for the left thigh nerve disorder, which I have stopped now. I wonder if my present problem emanating from the left crotch is a nerve disease or an orthopedic one. I would love to hear from you. Thanks once again. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later

Thanks for posting your query again.

Your present problem emanating from the left crouch is an orthopaedic one.

Hope I have answered your query.