Having pain in calf muscles post marathon run and also get back pain. Suggest?

Question
I am having pain in my calf muscles post I ran a Marathon, it still gives me trouble. Also, when I get up in the morning or sit for sometime without any back support I get back pain. I am just scared to have any severe issues in the future.
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Prasad 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please clarify...

Detailed Answer:

At the outset all your symptoms seems to be muscular to me. However if the calf pain has been a long standing one, I would order a few test to exclude organic pathologies. The first set of test will include routine hemogram, blood calcium, vitamin D and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) level. In addition to these I would also check your peripheral blood vessel - peripheral pulse and examination for varicose veins.
Most of the above test can be done at general surgeons clinic. I would urge you to visit a competent surgeon if the calf pain is long standing and troubling you.

Occasional back aches in the morning hours after you wake up is most likely due to muscular causes. Perhaps you should try stretching exercises as you wake up. I wouldn't suggest any evaluation or treatment in case the pain is not an every day event and if its not very severe.

In brief, your symptoms do not concern me. You can plan its evaluation at a surgeons office.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.