Having pain in ankle and leg. Also suffer from low back pain. Cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Been having pain in ankle when I bend it feel it more also sometimes have pain in leg what is the cause
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later

I am Dr XXXXXXX Gandhi, I am orthopaedic surgeon.
I have studied your case.

Do you have any injury or slip on ankle?
Do you use high heel sandals?
It most probably looks like sprain in ankle leading to ligament injury.
Apply crepe bandage whole day, it will give support to your ankle.
You may want to take analgesic [painkiller] with anti-inflammatory. Also, take tab methylcobalamine 1500mcg once daily.
If pain is not relieved, you may need to consult orthopedic surgeon for clinical examination.

Follow-up: Having pain in ankle and leg. Also suffer from low back pain. Cause? 6 hours later
No heels and no injury...sometimes I feel the pain in the calf area also

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us

Thats good

Continue tab methylcobalamine 1500mcg once daily with painkiller. While both are available over the counter the second one has to be taken with caution in case of gastric issues. Along with it take rest and warm fomentation.

If pain is not relieved, you may need to consult Orthopedic surgeon for clinical examination. You may need colour doppler leg for venous obstruction

Follow-up: Having pain in ankle and leg. Also suffer from low back pain. Cause? 1 hour later
plus i suffer from low back pain can that also cause pain

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 6 minutes later
Hello again,

I have studied your case.

This kind of pain is due compression of nerve due to spinal disc bulge.
Nerve compression leads to radiating pain to leg and foot, which gets aggravated in a particular position.

You need methylcobalamine, muscle relaxant with analgesic by consulting doctor.
Here are my suggestions to you:
Avoid lifting weights
Sit with taking support to your back
Continue spine extension exercises
Physiotherapy – SWD (Short Wave Diathermy), IFT (Interference Therapy). Please consult a physiotherapy that could help you with this.

You may need MRI spine if not relieved.

Take care,

Follow-up: Having pain in ankle and leg. Also suffer from low back pain. Cause? 26 hours later
ANOTHER QUESTION IS PAD HEREDITARY MY MOM HAS AMPUTATED LEG AND FOOT DUE TO THIS DISEASE SHE A HEAVY SMOKER.. IM KIND OF CONCERN ABOUT ME DEVELOPING THIS DONT SMOKE NOT OVERWEIGHT ALSO NO HBP

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 8 hours later
Hello again,

You mother probably had her limb amputated due to peripheral artery disease (PAD). Smoking is strongly associated with the disease.

It is good to know that you don't smoke, the probability of PAD is low. However in view of family history of PAD, it is worthwhile to consider arterial colour doppler of your both lower limb when you plan for other tests.

Hope this answer the query.

Follow-up: Having pain in ankle and leg. Also suffer from low back pain. Cause? 10 hours later
SO EVEN IF I DONT SMOKE OR HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE THERE IS STILL A CHANCE TO DEVELOP PAD...... SHE HAS HAD 7 SURGERIES IN THE LAST 3 MONTHS LEADING TO THE AMPUTATIONS. ALSO HER CIRCULATION IS REALLY BAD DOES THE PAD CAUSE THE CIRCULATION TO GO BAD AND WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS FOR BAD CIRCULATION, THANKS

Hello again,

As there is hereditary tendency of peripheral arterial disease so there is little chance of you having PAD

In this disease, arterial circulation gradually decreases and eventually stops leading to tissue necrosis.

Symptoms for bad circulation are: claudication [pain on walking which is relieved on standing or taking rest], coldness in limb, tingling sensation, no or feeble palpable pulse.

To clear the doubt, you may get a colour doppler done.

Hope this answer the query.

take care,