Having pain in abdomen. Had inguinal hernia. No noticeable lump. Could be just gas?

General Surgeon
I (male 74) have a pain in my lower left front abdomen which occassionally travels slightly to my side.I,ve had an inguinal hernia on the other side years ago but this feels different and there is no noticeable lump.Could it be just gas.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 30 minutes later
Hi XXXXX ! I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

The pain in your left lower side of abdomen could be either due to a developing hernia which has not yet formed a clear cut lump. In the initial stages of the developing hernia, there is pain due to stretching of the peritoneum which forms the sac of the hernia later. Once the hernia is fully formed, the pain may disappear.

Another reason at this age may be diverticulitis of the sigmoid colon which occurs usually in persons with chronic constipation although it can occur without it. Sometimes this may give rise to acute pain in the abdomen when the patient is admitted in the emergency room for management. However, you do not have this kind of pain as I suppose.

With your history of undergoing an inguinal hernia repair in the past, I will think more of a developing hernia on the other side ,as it is seen that those who get hernia on one side, the processus vaginalis testes may be patent on the other side also predisposing to an inguinal hernia on that side at a later date.

However, I would suggest you to get examined by your family physician/surgeon with other investigations like colonoscopy and ultrasound of abdomen if need be, to arrive at a specific diagnosis for further management.

I hope I have answered your querry. However, if you have got any doubt, please do not hesitate to ask. Wishing you good luck. Thanks. Dr Shareef.